Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Healthier May Equate to Happier

Diet Changing To Better Health 

Seems that fitness and healthier eating are a trend nowadays. While activity and healthier eating may contribute to weight loss and and a better physical feeling, having more vitamins and nutrients may also make one feel more happy with themselves. 

I took a plunge into fitness and healthy eating a couple years ago. I was tired of not finding clothes that fit and the one's that I did want I couldn't find my size. I was hurting all the time even though I had an active job at Disney. I made it a goal of mine to get fit and loss the weight. I paid for a one-on-one personal trainer at a training gym and started eating like I should have been all along. I cut portions, cut calories to about 1200 a day (what I needed for my goal and my activity level)  and lost almost 80 pounds, gained muscle, and felt AMAZING. 15 pounds from my goal I met someone, moved, lost my job and got pregnant. I didn't have the funds even with my new job to always eat right. I still don't at the moment, but the focus is still there. I'm just under 200 now, up from the 165 at my best. When we move in the next couple weeks I will be focusing on my eating habits. Where I am now I have limited room and area to work on good food. It's... a disaster to say the least with the people I live with. I'll update my progress as I start again to better health.

Until then, whether or not you want to lose a little or a lot, it's undeniable the health benefits of eating better. It does make you feel better. Your energy will greater. Your outlook may also improve. You may even save money in the process.

Add some or all of these and watch what happens!

I have been hearing a great idea to cut out some starch and calories all over Pinterest and food shows. I love the idea of mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes! I got this recipe from http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/cauliflowermash.htm

Ingredients:

  • raw Cauliflower - a medium head makes about a pound of florets
  • any combination of butter, milk, cream, or whatever you use when you make mashed potatoes - about 1/4 cup
  • salt and pepper
  • If you have low carb "instant mashed potatoes", add up to 1/4 cup for texture*
  • Options: minced garlic (a clove or two); garlic powder (1/2 to 1 teaspoon); cheese

Preparation:

*I like to use instant "potatoes" made for low carb diets, such as Dixie Carb Counters Instant Mashers. Other people use a small amount of real potato or instant potatoes to improve the texture. But you don't need any of these things.

Break the cauliflower up into florets, or just chop. I like to cook it in the microwave in a container that I prepare and serve it in, but you can steam it. Cook it until it's tender -- a fork should easily pierce it.

The easiest thing to do is to add the rest of the ingredients to the container the cauliflower is cooked in, and then use a stick (hand) blender to put it all together. Or you can put it all in a regular blender or food processor.

Assuming 4 servings from a pound of cauliflower, each will have about 3 grams of usable carbohydrate plus three grams of fiber. The calories will depend on what else you add.
Of course, you can add things like some cheese, garlic, or chives! I'm looking forward to this soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment