Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Equality


Equality


Before I begin I want to say that using this word the past couple years tends to get animosity from certain groups. I have no problem expressing my views on the subject, nor should anyone else, as it is opinion after all. 
I am a believer that all people are people. Race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. make no difference in a human being a human. Each of us have feelings, a past, present and future. Deep family roots and culture somewhere. Ideas and a feel for why they believe the way they do. People, unless they purpose themselves to make less of others, deserve to be treated with equal footing and equal opportunity.
I grew up and still live in the United States of America. We are not perfect as a nation and I feel we are far from it- but I feel proud and lucky enough to be part of this nation. It saddens me that so much of our "progression" is dependent on others who do not want others to have the freedoms they do because of race, religion, sexuality. Yet, if the show was on the other foot the story would be different for many of those who feel to oppress. You see, I have strong roots in Christianity. I also am not only very spiritual but have a deep knowledge in the history of the religion and where it's roots grew from Judaism. 
I am also very aware that this country was founded not by Christians alone, but Atheists who didn't want anything to do with the church of England.  Not only did the Christians want to break free of the strict tradition and the politics that was polluting their worship, but the Athiests and other groups who came over here didn't want to be forced into taking part in something they didn't believe. 
The Constitution is freedom of religion: freedom to worship anything and in any way.
It is pursuit of life, liberty and happiness: to live the way you want within the grounds of society as a capitalist nation- you work for what you want as hard as you want to get the things you want and live as you want.
There is the amendment of church and state: Religious (not societies morals) rules will not reflect or influence the laws made for everyone (because of freedom of religion- not everyone believes the same way). 
So why the fuss over equality for people who have a sexual attraction to anyone other then the other sex?

I find it sad to think this goes on as strongly as it does. Regardless of my religion that may say it's "wrong" I have the understanding that my country is basing laws off of a religion and denying happiness and life to a group of people. I do not think homosexuality is a choice: I do not choose to be straight, after all and no one can change my biology. If I wanted to live in a country where religion determines the law and oppresses others because of it I would choose to be elsewhere. Maybe living at the Vatican where it's all Catholic rule over the law. But, alas, I am here and people want it their way regardless of the founding principles. 

People may ask then "if it's freedom to live the way you want or happiness then what makes me not kill someone under the law?" You, the moral integrity of the nation, and the understanding that one cannot follow their Constitutional rights if it harms or disables another person or their Constitutional rights. 

Even the argument of past Jewish law that we got rid of that is in the same book of Leviticus such as no seafood other then fish, wearing mixed clothing types (cotton, linen, etc), even so strongly about women and their biology in regards to the church or their spouse. If we were to even follow the moral structure these books said about things we still practice then we should go and kill these other's off. But then, we have Jesus who came and changed it all, even changing many things  the book of Leviticus told us not to do.

The Dali Lama said once "Your Christians are so unlike your Christ". Jesus was not hateful. He was passionate about the correct way you should live and not sin, but he didn't hate these people. He gave them advice and went on. He didn't threaten. He didn't tell them he hated any of them. Instead he had concern, compassion and love no matter what.

No matter how you believe, isn't that the way we should treat all people? With kindness? He taught us not to judge, to cast the first stone as we are all people with faults, and that we are all on equal ground as people. 

This was just food for thought. Remember, positivity breeds positivity. Regardless of your religious views I urge you to treat others the way you expect to be treated. Kindness, respect, compassion- brotherly love.




No comments:

Post a Comment